7.28.2011

Go Italiano in a day

Language barriers could ruin a trip.When you're in a foreign land and people don't speak much English (or perhaps you don't speak their language that well), things could go crazy. For example, you're asking for directions. You speak in English. They pretend they understand. And they will answer you in ways you wouldn't know was not right. Or probably you speak Italian, but didn't get it right. Then they interpret it another way. So they answer you wrongly.




The point is, when you travel, you should try to learn at least the basic of the language especially in basic manners and basic questions you need to ask when traveling. May it be asking for directions, time, cost - anything. So here, we made a little list of the basic Italian words you should know when you get to Rome.

ENGLISH
ITALIAN
EXAMPLE
Hello
Ciao

Goodbye
Arrivederci

Thank you
Grazie

You’re Welcome
Prego

Yes

No
no

Excuse me/Sorry
Scusi / Scusa

Please
per favore

“Where is…?”
Dove si trova ...?
Where is the train station?

Dove si trova la stazione ferroviaria?
How much does that cost?
Quanto costa?

Do you speak English?
Parli inglese?

I don't speak Italian
Io non parlo italiano

Waiter
cameriere

Do you have...?
Avete ...?
Do you have red wine?

Avete vino rosso?
I'll have...
Dovrò ...
I'll have a lobster, please.

Avrò un astice, per favore.
What's your name?
Come ti chiami?

How much does that cost?
Quanto costa?

Can you help me, please?
Potete aiutarmi, per favore?

I can't find…
Non riesco a trovare ...
I can't find our Rome accommodation.

Non riesco a trovare il nostro alloggio a Roma.
Can you tell me where...?
Mi puoi dire dove ...?
Can you tell me where is the nearest apartment in Rome in Termini, please?

Mi puoi dire dove è il più vicino appartamento a Roma a Termini, per favore?
I’d like to cancel/change my reservation…
Vorrei annullare / cambiare la mia prenotazione ...
I'd like to cancel/change my reservation for my Rome rentals in Termini.

Vorrei annullare / cambiare la mia prenotazione per i miei affitti a Roma Termini.
Where can I park the car?
Dove posso parcheggiare l'auto?

Is there a lift/elevator?
C'è un ascensore / ascensore?

Can I leave my luggage until...?
Posso lasciare i bagagli fino a ...?
Can I leave my luggage until 8:00 AM tomorrow?

Posso lasciare i bagagli fino a 8:00 di domani?
We're leaving at 7 tomorrow morning
Partiamo alle 7 di domani mattina

No comments:

Post a Comment